Friday, December 01, 2006








Hello to you all once again!

It has been a great week here in Kenya, except for the incessant rain. The drainage system on the roads is virtually non-existent, so with these heavy rains, the roads are terrible. One of my roommates and I have been house-sitting for a family that is visiting the U.S. for a few months. They have a nice house, but with these heavy rains, the road to their house is like a series of little lakes. One day I was pretty sure I was going to have to get out of the car in my skirt and push. Luckily, we were able to get out of that muddy situation unscathed.

On Thursday my class and I went on a field trip to the New Life Home. It is a home for babies who have been abandoned. We went there to play with the toddlers and hold the babies. It was such a good time! These wee ones are so precious and beautiful. One of the girls in my class said, “How could someone abandon something so cute?” She is so right. It’s hard to imagine leaving such an adorable little bundle of life. The kids were so cute, and I have a hard time deciding who was cuter, the little babies or the 6th graders playing with them. All the kids in my class had so much fun and were really sad when it was time leave. It warmed my heart watching them play with these little ones. I can already see what wonderful moms and dads they are going to be one day. It almost makes me cry! What a sappy teacher I am. But I am just so proud of them.

We have only two more weeks until Christmas break, and that means less than two weeks until my brother, Dayn, comes to visit. We are planning on going to Mombasa, which is on the coast, for a few days. I was finally able to find a place for us to stay. After our visit to the beach, we will go on safari to the Maasai Mara. I can’t wait to see all the animals and have a real African adventure! We might do a little traveling after that, but the big plan on New Year’s is to climb Mt. Kenya. We will be going up with another teacher from my school and also her fiancĂ©, Kungu. He is a Kenyan and has climbed the mountain a few times before. I am so excited about all these plans! And even if I weren’t doing anything exciting, I am so glad my brother will be here with me. He is one of my dearest friends in the whole world. With that, I think I will bid you a fond farewell. May you enjoy whatever form of precipitation that this season brings you. I am trying my best not to dream of a white Christmas. Toodles!

4 comments:

paulmerrill said...

Great to read your blog!

We appreciate your teaching. Jay, my 13-year-old, is one who is ministered to my you. Thanks for serving the Lord here.

Anonymous said...

Daylan, we love reading your updates, and we praise God for your ministry in Kenya.

Anonymous said...

Daylan Jessica!

I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Hello Dear Cuz!!! Ist mein cousin named The Dayne in Town, yet in your humble abode?
Well, take care, stay the course, eat peanut butter, and MERRY 12 Days Til Christmas!!!

Today I give you an ode to a toad:

There once was toad named Bud
Who liked watching Elmer the Fudd
He ate his fly soup in the morning
With slime and pond scum all adorning (as a garnish, one could say -- or not, it really doesn't bother me...)
... OK, this ode to a toad should not be in your abode ( ha ha... ya, not so much...). Apologies all around.

Later gator!!

Darin