Friday, January 04, 2008

Hello everyone.

Thanks again for your prayers. After spending the last 10 days in Tanzania, my friends and I are finally “safe” in Nairobi. We had an amazing time in Zanzibar, an island off of Tanzania, but our last few days were a little harrowing as we watched the news and the growing tension in Kenya following the elections. It was hard for us to decide when we should go back to Nairobi, so we bought tickets to fly today, January 4th, with the intention of spending the night in the Nairobi airport if things were too dangerous on the roads. Plus, after traveling around and staying in various hotels and hostels, a night in the Nairobi airport sounded ok because it was free of cost and mosquitoes. Upon our arrival in Nairobi this afternoon, the report was that the roads were clear and we would be safe to go home. We took a taxi and found things to be surprisingly calm. As we drove past Uhuru Park, the location of the alleged rally that has not happened yet, we saw at least 100 police men if not more. It was an eerie sight, but I was glad to see them sitting around, looking bored. I would love it if they remained bored for the next few days, but there are still threats of rallies and violence in the city.

I live in an apartment complex that is tucked way back in the city. It is quite a distance from Kibera, the slum where a lot of violence is taking place, and I know that my roommates and I will be safe here. As with most people in Nairobi, we live behind a gate, and we have guards during all hours of the day. You can thank the Lord that my friends and I arrived here safely. He has provided safety in all our travels, and that is quite a miracle when you are white people traveling around Africa. Please continue to pray for the situation in Kenya. The violence continues in many areas, and we are all just holding our breath until both sides are willing to meet peacefully and find some sort of compromise. School is supposed to start on January 15th, and we are all hoping things will have calmed down by then. Thank you so much for all your encouraging words and prayers. It means so much to me knowing that you are praying for this situation.

2 comments:

KeriAnn said...

Praise God!!! I'm glad you had a nice time in Tanzania, but i'm much much more pleased that you are safe and sound. I was a little worried according to the reports we've been hearing about the turmoil.

jessi said...

Daylan, I'm so happy that you're home safe.