Thursday, February 01, 2007


Hello all!

I apologize for not writing for such a long time, but I haven't felt like I had anything blog-worthy, not to mention the fact that I haven't had much time on the internet lately. I forgot what a blessing it was to have internet available at home, in my college dorm room, etc. Things have been going quite well the past few weeks. It feels like school has been in session for a long time, but in reality it's only been 4 weeks. It's going by quickly, and I have a feeling that this year is going to slip between my fingers without me being aware of it.

All the new students in my class have settled in quickly, and it's hard to remember what things were like without them. The ESL students are improving each day, and I am growing in my ability to modify my lessons for them. It's still hard, but I'm getting used to it. Starting this Friday, my roommate Kayla and I will be having the 6-8th grade youth group at our house. You can pray for that ministry as it is an opportunity for us to connect with students outside of school. We are both really looking forward to this opportunity. It meets at our house every Friday night in February. I'm not sure how we will squeeze all these kids into our house, but I'm sure we'll manage. It will be fun.

The other exciting thing that Kayla and I are doing is coaching the middle school girls' soccer team. Kayla is a P.E. teacher and also the athletic director. It's really fun to be able to help her out, though it has been a long time since I've played soccer. The girls are so wonderful and cute...and out of shape. We had our first game on Tuesday, and even though we lost, we were the first team to score any goals against the team we played. We'll take our victories where we can. The loss was good because now the girls realize that you really do have to run all the time in soccer. They've been doing a lot of walking in practice, so I'm glad they're aware of what a game is like now. This is the first your that our school has had inter-school sports (thanks to Kayla), so it's just exciting for the kids to be out playing at all. The parents are so thrilled, and so are the girls. It is such a joy to be able to coach them. This picture is the team with Kayla and me on the edges. That's about all I have to report from Kenya. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Darin said...

Here there coach! ARe you wearing the swishy pants, wearing a whistle, and crtitiquin' the latest pro games? Mmmm... ya, well, if you don't then you need to start, cuz that's what all real-life-genuine-swell-and-neat-neat-coaches do (myself included... yep, just a little better wax, and I would have gone to the Olympics!!... or not).
Hey, congrats on the Volcano Climb. Did you meet a guy named Joe on the climb?
Me: Prepping 4 classes, have regions this week, and girlless... WHY!! Oh the humanity!
And the Bears lost which makes me hate most of life, peaches, and small frogs with pink spots.

Okee dokee, that's it. Ayttose, take care, and eat peanut butter (I still don't know why).

Darino