Saturday, March 17, 2007

The fatigue is setting in quite heavily, as Kayla and I had a lock-in at the school with the middle school girls on Friday night. We had a great time, but even after two naps on Saturday afternoon, I still went to bed at 10:00 Saturday night. We used one of the classrooms to watch movies, and then we slept in the library. After the movie started, Kayla and I snuck outside to lie on the ground and get a glimpse of the stars that I so often ignore. It was noisy night. Not noisy with cars and sirens but monkeys and birds. Monkeys and birds. A year ago, the wildlife consisted of the moose in my yard and the bears in the woods. And now I live with the monkeys.

Some things I love about my life in Kenya.
1. The smell of tempera paint on my classroom
2. The hugs and high fives from my students at the end of the day
3. Kayla
4. the tall, skinny 8th grade boys who pretend they are really tough but still like me
5. acacia trees
6. sunrises
7. power outages at night when i get to use my candle. did you know they make a sound when they burn?
8. mangos
9. the men who wear Bill Cosby sweaters when it is 90 degrees outside
10. the community of people I teach with
11. the families who send their kids to West Nairobi School
12. children who teach me how to believe
13. learning to trust God's sovereignty
14. learning what the word "sovereignty" really means
15. e-mails
16. letters
17. Psalm 139:5
18. my tiny, L-shaped bedroom
19. and many more, too many to tell...

No comments: