Saturday, March 24, 2007



On Tuesday I took my class on a field trip to New Life Home. We went there back in November, so some of you may remember that this is an orphanage for abandoned babies. We spent the morning holding babies and running around with the toddlers. Some of them are just learning to walk and others are hard to keep up with. It was a well-spent morning. The kids in my class absolutely love playing with all these chocolate-skinned beauties. And we decided that as a classroom, we could adopt 3 or 4 of them and then we can add "baby duty" to our class jobs list. Oh it's fun to imagine. And I have some imaginative students. My internet connection isn't very good, so I'm only able to post this one picture. At a later date, I will try to post some more of the students in my class because they are much cuter than me.

Not only did we have a great field trip, but we also had parent-teacher conferences this week. It was good to talk with parents and see how they feel about the class and their child. The most encouraging thing was looking at all the progress they have made throughout the year. Several students came from Kenyan schools, which are quite different than American schools that accommodate different learning styles and abilities. For many of these students, the first semester was an adjustment period to this new system of school. And now many of them are beginning to thrive. It's so encouraging to see that! I realized, however, that I am not used to talking to adults all day, and when I got home from conferences on Wednesday, I couldn't stay awake past 8:00.

Aside from school, I don't have much to report because, well, school seems to be my life. I love it, but I am definitely ready for a break, some much-needed reprieve. Spring break is coming up in about two weeks. So to take full advantage of my break, I am going to climb Mt. Kenya again. This time I hope to make it to the summit, but mostly I'm looking forward to the journey, being in the outdoors, being with Kayla and other friends, and not being in Nairobi! The city begins to wear on you after a while.