Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Last week at school was busy as usual, and I found myself left with little energy for the grading of papers, the planning of lessons, and the typing of blogs and e-mails. When Saturday rolled around, I faced the reality of going to school on a Saturday. Again. So as Megan and I drove the ever-familiar Miotoni Road towards West Nairobi School, I managed to see beyond my fatigue into a world of beauty.

When we leave our apartment in Nairobi (I know you may be disappointed that I don’t live in a hut. Sometimes I am too.) and drive toward Karen, where our school is located, the traffic and exhaust fumes are horrendous. As are the drivers. And the potholes... We spend about 15 minutes navigating around these aforementioned obstacles, and then we turn onto Miotoni Road. This is where the drive becomes utter bliss. The road is calm, almost deserted, and the brilliant, green trees form a sort of canopy, framing the strikingly blue sky. It is a beautiful sight, only to become more beautiful as we head toward the campus of West Nairobi School. Seated atop a hill, overlooking the Ngong Forest, the campus is absolutely serene, the prettiest place in Nairobi, if you ask me.

As Megan and I pulled into the parking lot of school on that Saturday afternoon, my eyes that sometimes have trouble seeing beyond the end of my nose, were open. The birds were singing, the light breeze was blowing the acacia trees ever so delicately, and I was thankful. Thankful that I can come to such a place on a Saturday, thankful that I can work in an environment where God’s glory is so evident, thankful that the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind brings such reassurance. Reassurance of God’s sovereignty, of His beauty, of His ability to make a magnificent tree grow out of a pile of dirt. With the satisfaction that can only come when the Lord’s voice is heard and heeded, I got to work in my classroom.

No comments: