Saturday, February 09, 2008

For the second year, I am helping my friend Kayla coach the girls’ soccer team. She does most of the work, and I just stand around and cheer the team on. Last season we didn’t win a single game, and we didn’t even score until the very end of the season. We had our first game of the season on Thursday, and though we tied 1-1, I was thrilled that they had scored a goal in their first game!

This Saturday we played in our first tournament at a school called Brookhouse. If any of you have read the Harry Potter series or seen the movies, this school was designed after Hogwarts. Their main building is like a castle, drawbridge and all, and I felt like I should be walking around with a cape and a wand. I didn’t need any sort of magic, though, because the girls played so well. Out of 8 teams, they ended up getting second place. In the final game, the score was tied at 0 with 2 minutes left. The ref made a bad call, giving the other team a penalty kick. Our goalie blocked it, but then the ref let her shoot again since he hadn’t blown the whistle before she kicked it. The other team had kicked it too early, so for some reason, our team was penalized for it. So really, the other team won because of some crappy reffing. But the exciting thing is that our girls still got second place, worlds better than they would have done last season. Way to go West Nairobi School!




Awards ceremony - 2nd place!

See what I mean about Hogwarts?

Resting between matches

The girls resting before the semi-finals

Some of the boys came to cheer on the team.


My two favorite Australians - Anna and Kate Radkovic

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Wow, Alaska to Africa with a few years in the lower 48 huh. I hope you're enjoying it all. How did you decide on Kenya?

Anonymous said...

congratulations! that must have been so exciting for everyone. i'm glad that you're staying safe with everything happening in kenya right now! you can check out my blog at www.kimnelmark.blogspot.com. it's definitely not near as exciting as your Africa tales, but my son's first tooth is pretty darn exciting to me! :) i'm glad to see that you're doing well and enjoying life!