Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Those of you who are avid readers of my blog (all 3 of you) may remember me writing about my hiking adventure at Mt. Suswa back in November. A large group of us came to this mountain to hike and explore, and things turned out a little differently than we had expected. Going into the park, some of us riding on top of the Land Cruisers, we were chased by a group of Masai men who wanted money from us. We had a Masai women with us, and she said we didn't need to pay them, so we continued to drive. After bush wacking and hiking in the heat, we came back to our vehicles and drove back toward the road. We were greeted by a road block created by the men who had been chasing our vehicles. They made a barricade with rocks and wouldn't let us through until we paid them a ridiculous amount of money. Somewhere in the midst of this adventure, my camera was stolen or lost, which is why you have never seen pictures of this trip. My good friend and hiking partner, Astrid, recently gave me a CD of her pictures from this trip. So now, 5 months later, you can look and enjoy.

These are the some of the Masai Plains we drove through to get to the mountain.

Some Masai people with their cows. Normally they get very upset if you take their pictures, so this shot was a rare treat.


Some children we saw along the way.


Some of us rode on top of our friend's Land Cruiser to get to the mountain. It was a bumpy and dusty ride!


We went to Suswa with several other families, but when it came time for hiking, we split up.


I still have scars on my legs from the bush wacking. But it was beautiful!



Speaking of beautiful, this is my friend Astrid.

Scott led the way down into the valley. It was a challenge to say the least.


Descending down the Cliffs of Insanity. Anyone know what movie that's from?


Ah nature.


I had a bag of cookies. Soon it was empty. How could you say no to these faces?

Here's the rock barricade that the men blocked our cars with. Sometimes you just have to laugh at things like that. Most people wait until afterwards, but I decided to do it in the midst of the scary mishap. TIA.


We did eventually get out. Here are some stressed out moms and restless kids.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, Daylan, you make me laugh! What an adventurer you are...

CathyD said...

Hi Daylan, I want you to know that I read your blog every week - I had just never signed up to respond :-) I am more confident with email than blogging.

Heard from your Dad this morning. I hear they had a WONDERFUL time with you. I am looking forward to hearing all about it and maybe even see photos.

Have a great week. Love you bunches!

Darin said...

Hold on! That alleged rock barrier would not stop a kindergartener on a tricycle... Questions propound. Could it be that Cousin Daylan actually placed the said pebbles in front of the vehicle in order to garner a truly adventurous photo op? Why did the jeep not pull a Herby a dive over the sand molecules? Was the mute buffalo able to convey the impending danger in time?
So many unanswered things and such...