Saturday, June 28, 2008

After school got out, my friends Kendra, Jen, Brent and I travelled to Uganda to raft the Nile and visit some friends in Kampala and Entebbe. We flew to a town in western Kenya and then took a bus over the border to Jinja, where we would raft the headwaters of the Nile. There were many adventures along the way, but eventually we met up with my friends Brad and Grant in Jinja. Rafting was an adventure to say the least. It was one of the most remarkable, amazing, and fun experiences of my life, and it was also one of the scariest! The rapids were unbelievable, the calm stretches were perfectly serene, and when it started to rain so hard that it felt like hail, well I was just glad the crocodiles didn’t get us. It was a great time!

After rafting, Brad and Grant drove us to their house in Kampala where we stayed overnight. The next day we took a taxi (public transport van) to a little town called Entebbe. Loretta, the lady who used to teach first grade at WNS, lives there with her husband, where they are serving as missionaries with AIM Air. Loretta was like a surrogate mother to me in Nairobi, so it was fun to visit her and see her life in Uganda. She lives in a beautiful place – they have chickens, avocado trees, mango trees, papaya trees, three kinds of banana trees, and the list goes on. It was a little paradise! Kendra and I stayed the night there and then went back to Kampala the next day. We hung out with Brad and Grant some more and then took a bus back over the border into Kenya for the next adventure. But I won’t tell you about that adventure just yet. Enjoy the pictures of Uganda, which, by the way is BEAUTIFUL. I think this is the next place I want to live…or at least dream about living.


No comments: